Letting off from last entry, I had just finished gluing up the side panels. Now it was time to finally get the legs dimensioned. I planed all 4 sides of one of the legs, but decided it was way too much work to do it again 3 more times. So, I figured that there was enough stock left that I could use my rip saw to remove most of the material saving myself tons of time and energy.
Then I used the planes to get them to final dimension, and then decided which leg goes where and marked them.
I then decided that my cardboard leg cut out was not going to work out, so I used one of the cut offs to make a better template.
After using the template to mark all the legs, I set up my marking gauges (I even bought a new duel head marking gauge just for this occasion!!)
Then I chop, chop, chopperoued!
A slight side note here. I only have a cheap big brown handled mortising chisel. (That’s because the ones that I am waiting to buy have not yet been released yet) Its just cherry, not like it something really hard. None-the-less…
Yup, a nice big fat chip-out at the edge. Sad thing, it happened about 30 seconds into chopping after spending a decent amount of time lapping and sharpening. So, back to the lapping stone to remove the chip and re-sharpen. It happened a few times. Not impressed with the tool.. but that’s what I get for $16.
With all the mortises done, its time to switch back to the sides and cut the tenons.
I used a skew rabbet plane to make rabbets to my layout lines.
Once both rabbets were cut to my layout lines, I marked out the locations for the tenons and cut out the waste and fit them to the mortise.
I then started to prepare the pieces for the front apron and rails. First I flattened and jointed them, marked out the pieces, ripped them to width and then jointed all the surfaces with my #7.
Then use the shooting board to get them all to the final length.
Now just to mark out their location, cut the mortises in the legs, fit the tenons and assemble. Soon the base carcase will be done and I can start shaping the legs. I have decided to do all 4 legs a different way to play around with different methods. Or.. if one method sucks really bad, I will abandon it for one of the better ones.
Step one to shape the legs is to cut out the waste, and this is where I want to use a bow saw. And as mentioned in a previous entry, I don’t have one yet, but I do have the Gramercy kit to make my own. So that is what I will be doing for the next bit and will be the next entry.
Happy Easter everyone!