So this project is the first complete – hand tool only – start to finish, in my shop since selling my table saw. I have been ridiculously busy and have not had much time since the fall, so I picked a nice little box that will just let me mess around with my tools again and not take me months to make.
Of course, every project I make I like to start with a few goals. This box of course is no exception..
1. Cherry wood as the only ‘seen’ wood used.
..... That’s pretty much it… I really just needed to get in the shop and use the tools.
So I had to start by dimensioning the wood..
Crosscut rough material to length
Rip to rough width
Crosscut close to final length
Shoot to final length
I screwed a stop to my shooting board so I could plane all the pieces to final width
Stock ready for joinery!!
Now.. because for some things I still think like I have power tools, I have found myself doing things the power tool way. One of those things is making the box, and then cutting the lid off after the fact. And that is what I did here as well.. I had to draw my layout so I could keep everything on order..
I have started to cut my half-blind and full-blind DT’s on the horizontal instead of the vertical position, I also have no issues with overcutting my lines because it makes chiseling way easier and faster, it was also very common back in the day when only hand tools were available, and its on the inside of the box… so who cares..
After cutting the pins and tails, I ploughed the groove for the bottom..
I used a vertical grain dug fir panel for the bottom and the substrate for the top. Glue up, I used OBG, its the best..
Check for square
Mark and cut the lid off
Plane and true up the lid to the bottom
Plough plane to cut the grooves for the trim
Since my only goal was to use cherry, and I wanted the trim to stand out a little bit, I decided to use white sap wood
I cut the trim with my inlay cutter with the knife blade installed
Rip and install the lid trim..
Mark out, rout and install hinges
Ready for finish..
Now.. the box is not 100% complete at this time, I am still building the finish for the top of the box. I used 3 coats of amber shellac on the lid to give it more of the amber tone , and one coat on the rest of the box, then two more coats of clear shellac for the rest of the box, but the top is getting several more coats of clear until its perfect. I will post the completed box in the projects section in the next few days when I complete it.
Thanks for checking in..