Months ago I was asked to make a farm house kitchen table. And a while ago I posted about flattening the top with my planes. Since I am not technically done (as I will explain) I decided to not post it to the projects, instead I will post a blog.
I had intended to make this table look 100 years old. So I used an old design, solid top, X frame legs with a wedge through tenon stretcher. Here is a picture from the under side..
And the tenon and wedge..
After planing and scraping the top, I decided to put in a couple of butterflies to cover the one knot and a small gouge in the top. Cool I thought… this will add some character. I applied a thin coat of blonde shellac to seal the wood and then some general finishes walnut gel stain. Then 3 coats of water based poly. I thought it looked awesome. Like it was 100 years old.
Wait… it looks 100 years old… used. I wanted it to look like it was new 100 years ago. Big difference.
Reseal with shellac..
Reapply gel stain and poly…
I had my client/friend come by today to have a look. He loved it. Everything about it. Made me super happy. Except… he has new chairs from when I started the table… his old chairs are 19” high… the new ones are 20”. So the table height of 28.5” is now an inch too low. See… not technically done.
I know exactly what I am going to do to modify it, and I think I will like it more when I am done. But it will have to wait… I have to go out of town for 2 weeks, leaving in a few days. But it should only take me a day or two once I get back…
..because… they have arrived!!!