Today was my last day of staycation. I go back to work tomorrow, so my progress will be a little bit slower. I will just have to compensate by staying up later during the night.
Last night I glued on some extra thickness onto the arm, this morning I cleaned and planed it all up
Because I am using my drawing as more of a guide, I am not following the dimensions exactly, as I am taller than what the drawings would suggest in Ramond’s book. I have had think some things through and make changes. Also, because I had to glue 8/4 stock to get a good thickness, my pieces are not exactly as the drawing calls for.
I am trying for 58-60 cm height, so I based on what the height of my seat is, my cutting height from the floor is 1190mm. Because of the changes that I made, I could not cut the lap in the main column for the arm until I knew the height of the arm assembly, so I made that next.
I cut the mortise and tenon in the vertical support, then the tenon for the guide support cross member.
This is where I had to sit back and think for a few min. I need the centre of the guide support cross member to be in the middle of my cutting action. So I had to decide how deep to cut the lap in the main column for the arm, and then I could figure out where to cut the mortise in the guide support cross member. I also made sure I added the thickness of the clamping face plate.
Then I drew out and cut the saw supports, one with vertical adjustment, and the other with horizontal adjustment.
The I glued up three pieces of 1/2 ply to make a 1 1/2 clamping face plate, with some fir glued in for support and the face plate clamping thingie is done as well. (The screws are just there until the glue fully cures)
Bring it all together
So far in this build, I have been confined to about 1/3 of my shop. Yes, partially because it needs to be cleaned up and organized, but mostly because of this…
AAARRGGGHHHHH!!! Stupid thing takes up like 1/2 my shop. I want it to go away! Soon.. my own… my precioussssss…..