I finally took possession of this awesome piece of vertical grain douglas fir. The first thing I did was use my cross cut saw to break it down into some smaller, more manageable sizes. Because it was pretty rough, I ran it through a thickness planer to clean it up a bit. Once I marked out the pieces that I needed, I used a band saw to rough out the shapes.
Yes… I used a band saw to do some roughing out… yup.. even though I really wanted to do everything by hand… milling huge pieces by hand sucks. So I gave in. Unfortunately, I did not have my camera hand at the time, and I was not even at home when I did it.
But, once I got home I was able to put everything on my bench and start planning. I broke out the jointer plane and started to straighten out the faces where I would be gluing them together..
And then glue them together..
Then the same thing for the main column..
Once out of the clamps, I jointed all four sides and made then nice and square..
Now I can start on making the sitting portion of the chevy…
Thanks for checking in..