Today, I found a cut off to use as the removable fence. I marked my line where I wanted to put the dowels..
And drilled the 3/8” holes..
Then I used some dowel centers and marked the holes on the bench, and drilled them as well.
I glued the dowels in the fence, so when I have the fence removed I don’t have the dowels sticking out.
Then I removed the screws that were holding everything in place and applied the glue, then used those same screws and some clamps to hold everything in place. After a while I removed the clamps and started to drill out the holes for the permanent dowels. While the glue is curing I cleaned up.
So here is the bench, mostly finished, with a few screws that still need to be removed, holes drilled and dowels glued into place.
As of now, I have decided not to replace the too short aprons yet, mostly because I don’t have any material laying around that is suited for the job. I will just not glue them in place for now. Also, when I have more time I will plane everything clean and smooth and flush. But.. basically I am going to consider it done. Now to use it!!!