Life has been too busy… and the woodworking I have been doing has not been very fun at all.. more like a second full time job.
I spent that last 2-3 months getting ready for a show this past weekend. It went … ok. Then when I got home and unpacked, I got a message from a corporate contact who… (I was talking to a month ago but I could not produce exactly what he wanted) and now they are in a bind and don’t have any other options than to settle for what ever I can do. So I have 25 pens due for this coming Monday. And another show at the end of Nov as well. Sighhhhh…. Im done doing shows. This is going to be my last one. They are not worth the time and effort I put into them and the weeks of stress they cause. BAhhhhh.
Other than all that stuff… I have proof my wife’s cats hate me.
AAHHHH… get off my bench!!!!
So here is my first experience with hot hide glue…
I used it to try and glue up this cherry and maple chess board..
But I failed. In fact I tried it twice and failed both times. So… soon I am going to make a press.
After all the failures I decided to do something a little smaller..
I used my unfinished moxon as the press..
And it worked out perfectly..
Then I used a skew block plane to recess the top edges so I could install some birdseye maple mitred trim..
I decided to put on a few coats of shellac before cutting the lid off.
Now that the lid is off I can work on the inside of the box, and once I have it done I am going to use tried and true as the finish of the sides of the box, then I will buff out the top and polish it. I am thinking of making into a really cool fountain pen box like the one I saw on this side a while ago… one to house this pen in particular..