I had some issues with the last batch of shellac that I mixed up. It did not dissolve very well, it went tacky too quickly, but yet took a really long time to cure. I contacted the person that supplied the shellac and I explained the situation. The response I got back was very interesting. I was told that the solvent I was using: Everclear, which is 95%, has 5% water. And that I should be using (because we live in Canada, we cannot get denatured) something called Bioflame. Which basically is denatured, but labeled and used for fireplaces. 95% ethanol and 5% iso.
Ok I thought, so I made the sacrifice and went to the store that carries it. Disclaimer… I hate that store. For the sake of this blog, I will just call it C-Tire. If you live in Canada, you will know of which I am talking about.
I was surprised how fast the flakes dissolved. Less than 4 hours. So I softened my lac brush and started on the first coat. I have always found that the first coat cures so fast, I pretty much do 2 coats back to back. SO on went the first two coats. This stuff is awesome! I would say less than 30 seconds of open time, but that is enough overlap half a stroke without leaving brush marks. It cured and leveled really evenly. I am very happy.
It is building really well and I should be ready to install some hinges in the next few days.