After going through all the effort to do some Boulle marquetry, I did not like the result. (see last entry) So the project was put on hold until I could 1. Find more time to dedicate to this. 2. Make a decision as to what to do.
I finally made a decision on what to do with the lid. I sand shaded the edge of some maple slices and made fans. I failed to take pictures. But, I do have pictures of them being clamped in after I made the voids for them to sit in.
Of course I used my router plane to make the voids… and I even got to use my brand new 1/16 router bit.
This thing is awesome… gets into the tight corners with ease. This bit is going to get lots of use in my shop.
After removing the clamps and using a thin card scraper to remove the tape and squeeze out…
Using my stringing cutter, I made one light pass with the scoring side to set my lines, then using the compass cutter I cut a radius at the top of the fans.
Then I made the stringing, steam bent it (I do that at a friends house (so there are no pictures) and I had to change my shirt to look nice so it is the same day, but I have a different shirt on, I cut and glued in the stringing
Then this morning, I cut the stringing flush and scraped it smooth. Then I cut the groove for the next batch of stringing.
Then glued in the stringing
Then smoothed the stringing
Up until today I had still not glued the box together. I did that as well… so now I can start on the maple edging that is going to be inlaid into the corners.
There is still one more element that is going to be inlaid into the lid, but that is still a little surprise. If all goes well tomorrow (Its a holiday in Canada, so I have an extra day to work on this) I should have the lid done. I am going to be working on this until it is done, I am hoping that I will be done in the next 3 or 4 days.. then I can put some finish on it. I cant wait to see what the lid is going to look like with oil and shellac…
Thanks for reading.