My journey into small quick random projects continues. I am determined to make a few little boxes with Louis cube patterns on the lid, so I started making lots of maple, cherry and walnut parallelograms. I made myself a little jig when I made the box for my wife last Christmas, so this time I only have to cut the veneer.
My shop is in my basement, the main shop is in a space about 250 sq feet, there are some walls that separate that space with the other rooms in the basement, but those rooms are also home to woodworking stuff in various stages of completion, staging, finishing ect. In one corner I have a few bookshelves that are filled with… you were thinking I was going to say woodworking books right? HA HA, got you there. Yes, there are woodworking books and dvd’s, but almost all of my geek nerd stuff has been sequestered to the basement with me, and they fill the majority of the bookcases…
That’s right… Gollum, and Autographed Don Cherry figure are in a case with hand painted LOTR figurines (that was before woodworking) and on top of the case is the Enterprise… with battle action damage and sounds!!!!
Along with my LOTR shelf with the movies in between the Argonath!
Then there is Gui Gon Jinn and Darth Maul protecting my pen making mess from my wife’s evil cats.
Anyways, I have a couch, my first coffee table and a tv in one corner. So I do most of my veneer work while I am sitting on the couch watching one of my movies that got banished downstairs with the rest of my stuff. This is also why it takes me so long to get any veneer/marquetry work done, I end up spacing out and just watching the movie.
One down…. lots more to go.
Also in the last few days I needed to fill a few pen orders. One was a two part rollerball pen made from some bog oak for a friend, and three ballpoint pens for client. And in between everything else, I have also been applying coat after coat of shellac to the spalted maple box lid. I am having issues with the shellac. Some friends and I bought and split a bag of super blond, and I know that one of the other guys is having issues as well, but when I was mixing it, it did not want to dissolve nicely, and I have to thin it more than I would have liked, and to boot… the spalted portion sucked up the shellac and you could not even tell there was shellac until about the 5th application. But, in the last few coats it is starting to even out and look really good.
One of the things that I do to keep myself in the woodworking mood even though I am stuck working on things that I don’t really want to be doing… I try to read woodworking books. But, like the movies that suck me in, some times I end up reading a non-fiction book… and I am lost to the world for a few days.
That gives me an idea… next entry will be about the woodworking books that I read and why I read them… that might be more interesting than me getting distracted by Harry Potter while cutting a few hundred little pieces of veneer.