This past week I got started on another job, a display case and table for a local business. A really, really cool shop that sells crazy high end Japanese knives.
Jumping right into it, I glued up two pre-laminated pine boards for the table top, I am going to paint it black, so the grain is not an issue. (not pictured, really nothing to see)
But the legs for the table are something else. They are thick with a pretty big rounded edge, so I started with a 8/4 poplar board, 7 1/2” wide. I used a bandsaw to rip it in half, and then cut them into lengths just over 3’.
Then I jointed one face on all of them and glued them up into the big legs.
While the glue dries, I planed the piece of walnut that is going to be the face of the display case…
I cut out some cardboard so I could lay out where everything is going to be before I cut up the walnut.
Then I used my small table and saw to cut up the walnut..
Now, because I am a sucker for punishment… I used my planes to joint all the walnut and the poplar legs before I put them through the thickness planer, then I used the planes again to remove what little snipe there was…
This is after jointing an edge and face of all four legs.
3 garbage bags full of shavings later… my hands hurt.