Ok, now that the crazy week is behind me, I now have time to post what I did last week.
First, I had to cut some stringing and bend it so I could glue it into the small curved grooves. Sorry for not taking pictures of the bending process. I basically heated up a 2” pipe with a torch until it was hot. Then I dipped my strining into some water and used a thin piece of metal as a backer and pressed it to the pipe, hold it for a few seconds…. done.
Then I cut them and fit them into place, and again used OBG to glue them in.
Then scraped it flush..
Set up the cutters again and cut the next batch of grooves
Repeat the previous steps… cut, fit and glue into place. Scrape flush.
I also had enough time to cut and fit the bottom.
Now to start working on the lid. I am planning on doing some marquetry, because I do not have a chevalet, I will be using my fret saw and a birdsmouth. But I will be using Boulle method, and I plan to use a variation of some 16-17th century French stuff. I will be looking at and selecting my veneers over the next few days and once I settle on a design, I will start cutting it out. More on that later.
Thanks again for reading.