So as the title says, it has been 45 days since I put some birch in some dirt. I have been very impatiently waiting and check on it every few days and add water and do what I think I can do for those little fun-guys. Well I think they dont like me very much, because they are not coming out to play.
So I decided to take matters into my own hands….? Seriously though, I decided to mix things up a bit. I split the chunck in half, and put them face down into the dirt (about 2 weeks ago). Then it occured to me (two days ago) to introduce a pre-spalted air-dried specimen. Thankfully I have lots of spalted stuff around the house, and quite a few pieces of air dried birch that was harvested near a little town in the Rocky Mountains. I used them to make some pens, but for some reason I cannot bring myself to discard those little tiny cut offs.
So I sifted through my scrap pile and found 3 little cut offs, and soaked them in water to hopefully awaken the funginside!
Then I made a little dirt pile on the face of the wood and added some water to that and then put the little scrap on top and partially covered them.
Two days later there there is some new colours. Things a looking a little more promising, so I will keep monitoring to see what happens. Oh, I also elevated my tube off the floor, dont know or not, but that might be a factor as the floor is cold.
Disclaimer: In no way, shape or form am I taking this experiment seriously. So neither should you. My goal is less about creating usable spalted wood, and more about feeding my own curiosity.
Thanks for reading.