I am happy to report that I activly working on this project until I get it done. I am so close to being done that I cant see myself setting it aside again. Also, I have a couple of large jobs coming up and I need the space.
Since last time, when everything was planed to fit and everything tightened up. I just made sure everything was flat and smooth and sliding/fitting nicly.
Ready for the finish. I may have mentioned it already, but I am using aniline dye for the colour, and the colour is called Russet Amber. As per the instructions that came with with dye, I heated up some water and then mixed in the powder and stired it up. Actually, I did not follow the instructions at all. I did not measure my water or the powder. I just mixed in the powder until I liked the colour my stir stick turned (I was using a cut off from the same piece of wood). While the water was cooling off, I used a cloth and some water and wiped down all the surfaces that I planned on putting colour into. This pre-raises the grain. When it dried I used some 220 to really gently knock down the fuzzies. By then the dye was cool. So I used another rag and soaked everything in the dye and kept it wet for a good 15-20 min. Then using another rag that I had dampened in the dye, I wiped off the excess. Here is what the drawers look like after I wiped off the excess, but before it was dry.
Once the dye is dry, it have a very matte look to it, and it will not look like the right colour either, not to worry, one some oil and finish are on it… POP!
After letting everything dry for a day, I then got out my trusty bottle of boiled linseed oil. Only to remember that it was almost empty. So I had to go and get another one. Using a foam brush, I saturarted everything with the oil and kept it wet for a good 20 min. Those flames soak up a lot of oil, so it was slow going, as I constantly had to go back and reapply oil. Here are the drawers and the carcass after wiping off the excess, but again, before it has dried and cured.
I did not set up my lights so the picture is qute dark, and its hard to see the figure in the wood, nonetheless, here is the carcass.
I am going to give the oil 2-3 days to cure before moving on.
Note, I have removed all the inner drawer blades, as they will not be coloured. I also took some care not to put any dye or oil into the dado`s where they go, as I do not want to swell them and change their size. After the final finish is applied, I will put them back in and install the back.
Speaking of final finish, I am going to be using amber shellac. I cut my own because I prefer it to be as fresh as possible, and I like a specific cut. I have most of the supplies, but am missing one thing which I will be picking up tonight. This is something that I think a lot of people would enjoy seeing how it is done, I will be taking lots of picture of the process.
Thanks again for reading,