Once again I find myself apologizing to all who are following this build. Three months ago we ended up having to get a new computer. And right at the same time, I ended up getting a few smaller commissions. Once those were done, there was little time left to get everything made for an art show that was this past weekend. Now.. I can finally get onto the rest of this project. I am going to try my best to get this done before my next commission which is in the design process right now, and is quite substantial. So I spent the morinig cleaning up the shop, and getting the spice cabinet back into the working area.
Most of these pictures were taken a few months ago when the work was done, but I have not had time to get them loaded up and blogged about.
After getting the double arches cut and made, I used my router table with a groove cutting bit and bearing to make the groove where the panels will fit. I had planned on using mortise and tenons to fit the parts of the door together, but at the same time I had the opportunity to play with a festool domino, and how could I pass that up? So I ended up using dominos. I really like that machine. I dry fit the door frame, clamped it tight, and used a colt with a profile bit to make the inside profile. Of course the round but does not fit into the aquare corners very well.
Using chisels and scrapers I cleaned everything up.
For the panels, I choose quilted maple, I also choose to bookmatch the panel doors.
After gluing up the panels and cutting them to the right shape, I decided to dye the panels before assembling the door with glue, as I did not want to fuss with the dye in tight corners.
Once I had the door assembled and glued up, I needed to cut the mortises for the hinges. Chisels and router plane make this quick and easy work
And then the lock, again chisels and the router plane make this a cake walk.
I spent quite a bit of time fitting the drawers to they all slide in and out really nice and have an even reveal all around them. I used my small LA smoothing plane with a 50° blade to clean up the drawer faces and sides. No tear out at all, super smooth surface.
And with the door sitting in place
Getting to the point where things are going to start wrapping up, and I am getting really excited to see this finally finished.
Thanks again for reading.