LumberJocks

Making a Penn spice cabinet using mostly hand tools. #11: Mantra adjustment, moulding & ogee feet

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by JeremyPringle posted 821 days ago 2958 reads 2 times favorited 6 comments Add to Favorites Watch
« Part 10: Half-blind DT pictorial. Part 11 of Making a Penn spice cabinet using mostly hand tools. series Part 12: Drawers and double door »

Well, it only took 3 weeks, but I finally finished cutting all the drawers.

Time to make some moulding and the ogee feet. But I have run into somewhat of an expected/unexpected issue. When I started this project I was determined to do everything with hand tools. So far I have been mostly successful. Until now. I think a lot of this is also due to my blissful ignorance. I knew that I was going to run into some issues, but I decided to ignore them and try to deal with them when they came about. So, here is where the mantra change comes into play. I am going to use hand tools so do as much of this project as I can. With the exception where I do not have or cannot borrow the required hand tools.

For example, I do not have moulding planes that do complex profiles, neither do any of my friends. Thus, the only way to do the moulding would be my router table. This is what I ended up doing. I used a basic roman ogee bit for the top part of the profile, and then switched it out for a smaller bit to do the bottom part of the profile.

A little scraping and planning will true everything up nicely.

Next the ogee feet. Because I have only played with the table saw/ogee cove a few times a few weeks ago, I was still unsure of the correct sequence. I had to email someone for advice. Here is what I did. I cut three long pieces, and drew out the profile, one left and one right on each piece. Cut the mitre on each side, cut the cove, drilled the hole for the point, cut out the profile and then used rasps and files to clean up the saw marks. Once I had them glued up I used my black plane to do the final shaping of the profile, the used a little …gasp sand paper to clean up any left over mill marks from the table saw. I think they turned out ok. Note, the moulding is only loosely taped into place, thus the gap in the picture.

The two back feet are a little different. Cut the cove, then drilled the holes. The backs are also supported with half blind DT’s. I decided to cut these first, before cutting out the profile. So I cut the half blinds. You can see the piece in the back ground, as I have yet to cut out the profile, and this is where I am left off at this point.

My next step is to finish the drawers. I am going to be nailing the bottoms on, so I have to plane all the drawers to final thickness (I left them a little thick) and glue them up, then nail on the bottoms. Then I can get started on the door.

I did a few test pieces, and I have finally settled on a colour and finish.

My formula is Russet Amber aniline dye, boiled linseed oil, 2-3 coats amber shellac, and then the final few coats of blond shellac, and then I will rub out the finish.

Thanks again for reading.
Jeremy



6 comments so far

View BTimmons's profile

BTimmons

2110 posts in 1112 days


#1 posted 821 days ago

That’s going to look really cool.

-- Brian Timmons - http://www.BigTWoodworks.com

View tirebob's profile

tirebob

123 posts in 1480 days


#2 posted 821 days ago

I love the dye colour man… I need to look at trying the dyes. I tested a piece of ash with just amber shellac and it looks too much like the typical 1980’s honey oak colour on all the old floors and cabinets!

View DaddyZ's profile

DaddyZ

2380 posts in 1667 days


#3 posted 821 days ago

Very Nice So Far !!!

-- Pat - Worker of Wood, Collector of Tools, Father of one

View Moron's profile

Moron

4666 posts in 2520 days


#4 posted 821 days ago

always wanted to make one and happy you are. I still have a set of plans somewhere in FFW, “Small Woodworking Plans”

Nice work

Cheers

-- "Good artists borrow, great artists steal”…..Picasso

View molan's profile

molan

72 posts in 849 days


#5 posted 820 days ago

Crazy how good that looks! I love the curly maple you are using! You should tell us how you go about selecting the wood for a project like this so you show off its features like that!

View kenn's profile

kenn

785 posts in 2346 days


#6 posted 820 days ago

It is looking great, I’m happy to see your drawer progress, don’t sweat “cheating” on the handtool only goal. Thanks for the update.

-- Every cloud has a silver lining

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

GardenTenders.com :: gardening showcase