LumberJocks

Making a Penn spice cabinet using mostly hand tools. #9: The blade master, and I'm not talking lightsabers!

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by JeremyPringle posted 03-31-2012 04:07 AM 1677 reads 0 times favorited 2 comments Add to Favorites Watch
« Part 8: #8 Return of the Jedi...... Part 9 of Making a Penn spice cabinet using mostly hand tools. series Part 10: Half-blind DT pictorial. »

Hello again. It has been quite a week. I have been able to get work done every night so far this week and I have made some good progress. I left off #8 getting the three horizontal drawer blades sized and fitted. So I’ll pick up there. To fit the rest of the blades, I had to cut them to size. I used my crosscut carcass saw and a bench hook to get them close.

Then I used my plane stop and planed them really close to thickness. I had to use the toothed blade for most of them and clean them up with the regular blade. (I forgot to take pictures)

Then once I had them to thickness, I took them to the shooting board to get them just right…

Once I had them all to size, I had to make a notch in all the horizontal blades so they would extend past where I made the stopped dado. For this I set them into position and used a knife to mark the lines and then I used a razor saw to cut out the notches.

After that I again refined the fit of all the drawer blades. Woo hoo, done that part. Now glue up time!

While I was gluing up, I noticed that the top had a slight cup in it, nothing that the glue would not take care of, but just in case… So I drilled some 1/4” holes about 1 1/4” into the top and glued in some little pieces of dowel. Now here is a small confession… I don’t have a usable egg beater drill, and I don’t have small enough bits for my brace… and even though I have a corded drill… I got my little mitts on a Festool C12. Goodness gracious me, I could go on about Festool until my eyes are deep blue and green! What an awesome tool. But… this is not a tool review so back to business… this is what I looked like when I was done.

After letting the glue cure over night and all day while I was at work, I used a flush cut saw to take off the protruding dowels, and then I planed the top and both sides so everything was nice and flush. I once again dry fit all the drawer blades. And this is where I am sitting right now.

This is really starting to come together and I am getting more and more excited about seeing this thing done. My next step is to start working on the drawers. I still have the other half of the slab, and that is where I am going to be getting the frawer fronts from. So I have quite a bit of work to do to get them usable. As well as a fair amount of planning so I can get the grain and figure to match as best as possible before I start cutting into the slab. I already have the drawer sides cut and they have been stickered for several months. This is the part that I am most excited about, I really like making drawers.

So… in the mean time and in between time!!!
(Extra points if you can tell me who used to say that)

Jeremy



2 comments so far

View SPHinTampa's profile

SPHinTampa

548 posts in 2439 days


#1 posted 07-17-2012 12:56 PM

Looks fantastic.

-- Shawn, I ask in order to learn

View DaddyZ's profile

DaddyZ

2432 posts in 1794 days


#2 posted 07-17-2012 01:41 PM

Looks Great so Far !!!

-- Pat - Worker of Wood, Collector of Tools, Father of one

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

GardenTenders.com :: gardening showcase