It has been close to 5 months since my last post, and thats not because I have been lazy. Its been 5 months because I have not touched this project in almost 5 months. But I am so happy to finally be back working on it. The last 5 months have brought about job changes, family crisis’, multiple commissions and a ton of everything else to take away my time to work on my personal project.
I had left off with the carcass dry assembled, and I had finished making the drawer blades out of the secondary wood and finalizing my drawer configuration. I am now at the point where I need to make the front part of the drawer blades out of maple. Way back when I started the project, I used a bandsaw to rough out some thinner stock that I knew I was going to use for this purpose. But like I said, rough. It was about 3/8 to just under 1/2. So it all needed to be planed down so it fit into the grooves in the carcass.
I started with my smoothing plane with a toothed blade (I dont have a toothed blade for the jack plane)
After a few passes with that I switched to the jack plane with a regular blade and took away the tooth marks.
I repeated this process until I had a snug fit.
I have only done these three, because they are the only three that span from one side of the carcass to the other, now it is time to make v-grooves and fit the rest of the vertical and horizontal blades.
I want to thank everyone for following along and for your patience. I hope to have the next few steps done in the following days.