LumberJocks

Making a Penn spice cabinet using mostly hand tools. #7: A series of unfortunate events.

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by JeremyPringle posted 10-20-2011 07:14 PM 1838 reads 0 times favorited 0 comments Add to Favorites Watch
« Part 6: Turkey for you? Part 7 of Making a Penn spice cabinet using mostly hand tools. series Part 8: #8 Return of the Jedi...... »

Well, unfortunately I have not been able to get any more work done on the spice cabinet since last post. But that does not mean I have not been busy. Quite the opposite in fact. I have been very, very busy working on some commission projects.

My shop looks like it has become a box factory. I spent 4 days making 6 apple crates for a local flower boutique. I burned in the name of the shop and a bee on every crate and nailed it all together. I tried to make them look as ‘rustic’ as I could. Not being into the rustic thing myself, I think I did and ok job.

Also on the agenda was a small dovetailed box with an inlaid shell on the lid. A few months ago I was asked to see an antique about possibly repairing some damaged veneer. Unfortunately it was damaged way past my skills to repair, but I was allowed to take some pictures. I know it was made in England using QSO, but I cannot guess at the date. Mid 18th century? If you know, let me know, because I would love to know more.


I really like how the fans are jagged and not straight lines. I don’t know if I have even seen that before. I took a close up of the shell and had it imported into autocad and had a simple line drawing made of it. And I have been using that as my pattern. Here is the box that I made. I used one really thin coat of amber shellac to help warm the walnut, and then 3 coats of clear shellac, and then 4 or 5 coats of the LV French polish. Oh, and yes. I used hand tools to do just about everything for this box.


There has been quite a leanring curve on these shells, as I could not find any instruction on how to make these, I basically started out by using a really old magazine artical, and I made a little birds mouth jig tilted at 13°. Using my fret saw and really small blades… away I went. Some serious thinking and some scrap veneer, and I think I have it figured out. But you never know. Once of these days I will take some step by step pictures and post them, and see if someone else has a better way of doing things. Which I am sure is likely.

I am also trying like crazy to get some displays made for a friend, who has a show this coming weekend, so I need to be done before tomorrow afternoon. And once I have those done, then I have a ton of small turned projects and small boxes to make for a show in December. But, after this weekend I will have small breaks in between to be able to get some work done on the spice cabinet.

Again, sorry I have not gotten anything else done on the spice cabinet, but once I do I will keep you all posted.



0 comments so far

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

GardenTenders.com :: gardening showcase