Mid Century End Table #3: She's Got Legs

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by Jerbone posted 02-19-2014 10:11 PM 1143 reads 0 times favorited 0 comments Add to Favorites Watch
« Part 2: Seems like this is taking forever Part 3 of Mid Century End Table series no next part

Slowly but surely I am trudging along. Now that the carcass, and the drawer are complete, what am I gonna do for the stand?

For the this table I wanted to do something that really set it apart from the other (not built by me) furniture. So for the legs I decided to do a cross let, or X legs as I found out they can be called. This is something that I have never done before so true to this project, another learning experience.

I used what what left of my rift sawn walnut to create some blanks for my four legs. I ripped the pieces to about 1.25” wide and 23” long then glued them together. From there I set my ts blade to the 45 degrees and beveled each corner giving them a look that I thought matched the rest of it. I suppose it may not be typical for this era of furniture but really I have no idea about that type of thing yet. So I am just going for looks and authenticity.

Now for the part I regret now. I took my legs and placed them on top of each other and figured in my head what angle to cut the top and bottom. After cutting them I laid them back down and marked the mortises. After using my favorite saw and chisel I fit them together. However they were not the same height when stood up. So it looks like the angle of my cut was off.

I should of thought through this more. So those pieces went to the scrap pile and I had to pick up another board to redo them. Since I had more wood, I increased their width for better support. I cut the bevels the same but for cutting the mortise of where the cross I tried something different.

A small box was built that was the width of where I wanted the legs to attach to the base. My wife the engineer gave me a hand and we figured out the required angle that it would need to be the height I wanted.

From there I cut the tops of each leg at 29 degrees and then laid them in the box. I measure and marked them. The mortise was cut, this time a little bit shallower. After trimming them I got a tight fit and both sets of legs matched. Now that will do.

This whole process was made much more difficult than it should be in hind sight. Why I did not just put the legs on the table saw in my miter gauge and cut them that way,I have no idea. Maybe because that would be too easy.

Well now it sits, just needing to attach the legs to the base. My plan is to use two dowels for each leg. If anyone has any better ideas or suggestions on how this should be done, I am all ears. As always thanks for stopping by.



-- Joining two of my passions, beer and woodworking,

0 comments so far

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics