So the fun continues. Now it was time for me to make the drawer. The table was assembled using packing tape so that I could get my dimmensions.
Dovetails are what I decided to go with. Besides I could finally use the dovetail jig I picked up off craigslist last year for. Problem was I could not find a bushing guide for the dovetail bit. I had a to wait a few days before I was able to make it Woodcraft and pick me up another one. After getting all the parts, I practiced by making a half dozen joints using some poplar. I ended up being able to create some tight joints and it was time to move on to the walnut for the real thing.
The poplar joints ended up much tighter than I got with the walnut but after gluing them up they tighten up nicely. After adding the bottom of birch plywood, the drawer was strong enough. At this point I had my first twinge of regret, wishing I had made the drawer side thinner than the 1/2” I went with. I planed the top and bottom flush.
Next it was time to add the dado to the drawer. At this stage I started getting a bit nervous, knowing that a screw up with a router can quickly make scrap wood out of my project. In fact the closer to the end I always get a bit nervous with every cut. Uusally instead of measuring twice, I will go over four times or so. This causes me to slow to a crawl whenever I get towards the end. Guess I might get a little quicker as my confidence grows.
I cut the runners and sanded them ultra smooth. After careful measurement of there placement I secured them using glue and a couple of brads. Tested the drawer and it ended a little tight. After a couple passes with my small block plane it ended up where I wanted it, especially with a touch of wax.
The rear piece to the table was cut and slid into the dado’s I cut using my table saw. Really could use a dado blade by now, but made do with several passes.
For the drawer face I used a real nice board I had been saving with a great grain pattern. I cut it a bit proud, then planed it to exact fit.
So now I am ready for the glue up, but before it I gave the insides of the table a a couple coats of BLO. Man does that stuff really bring out the character of the wood. There is a golden hue to it that I did not expect.
Next installment should have me gluing up the whole thing. I still need to wrap my mind around the proper way to clamp the whole thing but that is a problem for a different day.
Thanks for the look.
-- Joining two of my passions, beer and woodworking, https://www.halfyankeeworkshop.com