LumberJocks

Adventures in Japanning #4: Back at square one

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by JayT posted 10-13-2012 09:10 PM 2953 reads 0 times favorited 3 comments Add to Favorites Watch
« Part 3: Let's welcome Mr. Murphy (and his law) Part 4 of Adventures in Japanning series Part 5: Progress, finally! »

Several days away from the japanning project didn’t really help. There were too many times in those days that my mind returned to the problem and just wouldn’t leave it alone, but no solutions were forthcoming. Finally, it took walking out to the shop again, looking at everything on the bench and BAM . . . there it was!

Remember this?

The plane I used when testing the finish blends didn’t have any brush marks, and it was the same formula that I had first used that didn’t sag.

What was the difference? When testing the blends, I used a cheap flux/glue brush, not the artist’s brush. That resulted in more than a few bristles in the test finishes, but it didn’t matter for that purpose. Could it be that the flat brush was applying the finish too thin and it was setting up too fast to self level? A quick trip back to Hobby Lobby to see what else might be available and I purchased an inexpensive set that included two mop brushes,.

These had a thicker head than the flat brush I started with, thicker even than the glue brush, but with much finer bristles.

With a renewed sense of purpose, it was time to try again. This time I used a old Bailey No 5 (I believe it is a type 9) that was picked up at an auction in a lot with another 605 I actually wanted for the parts. It had been broken in the past, so one side was brazed and two corners were still chipped, but it had almost no original japanning. Using this plane would allow me to work on the japanning without fear of doing any additional damage to the Bedrocks.

After wire brushing off the little bit of remaining original japanning, the Bailey was wiped down with xylol to have a clean bed. By the time I had a paint brush out and the jar of japanning open, the solvent had dried and so a first coat was laid on—this time using a mop brush instead of the flat brush.

The result was a much thicker first coat than my original attempt, but within a short time of applying the japanning, there were no brush marks!

Encouraged by this, I left the plane overnight and mentally attacked the problem of getting a good cure on the finish.

-- "The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money." Alexis de Tocqueville, 1835



3 comments so far

View sikrap's profile

sikrap

1062 posts in 2106 days


#1 posted 10-13-2012 09:18 PM

This really is fascinating. I’ve stayed away from trying to rejapan because I was told that I needed to bake the planes to cure the asphaltum. I can’t wait to see how this finally works out.

-- Dave, Colonie, NY

View Dennisgrosen's profile

Dennisgrosen

10850 posts in 1862 days


#2 posted 10-13-2012 09:50 PM

interresting blogserie
I believe you when it comes to the brushmarks …. its the same when painting with different
kind of paint like water based , acrylic based or oilbased paints you have to use different pensels
if you want a good result …... oilbased paint like pensels made of natural hairs
what do you have in the jar to Japanning the tools

Dennis

never mind just read the second blog :-)

View mafe's profile

mafe

9670 posts in 1836 days


#3 posted 10-29-2012 06:19 PM

I paint watercolors and know the importance of a good brush, so i follow you here.
Best thoughts,
Mads

-- Mad F, the fanatical rhykenologist and vintage architect. Democraticwoodworking.

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

GardenTenders.com :: gardening showcase