So here’s my 113. I bought it and started taking it apart before I even got it off my truck… it was too heavy to move alone. I don’t feel like boring you with pictures of an old Craftsman table saw. Everything got completely dismantled, sanded, painted, replaced, cleaned, or whatever. So let’s just jump right to the, “hey, I’m done – I wish I took pictures of things as they came apart, because I can’t remember where this goes,” phase.
Most parts done being painted and dried. Base drying.
One complete table saw… ready to go!
And lots of nuts, bolt, washers, tabs, brackets, thingies – oh my!
Mmhmm. And a new 1.5HP TEFC 110 or 220 volt motor.
I made a few key improvements, I think, to the base. I welded these tabs down, as the original spot welds had failed. The tab was attached to nothing when I got it.
Also welded all the top tabs.
This looked like it needed to be welded as well.
Here too. More welding!
The base was also missing one of the feet. So me and my buddy made one out of diamond plate.
And then… we welded them all down! This thing is built like a brick shit house now.
Next I went through and tapped every single thing I could find. Everything.
I also decided to use my die set, too. You can see I’m half way done here.
After all that was done, I started lubing everything up. I picked up this paraffin wax and just smothered it all over everything that moved. It’s pretty rad.
I decided to start with the tilt nut assembly. This goes in first. I found these fiber washers in my local hardware store. Hint: they’re in the plumbing section/faucet parts. You just gotta hunt to find them.
They fiber washers get placed on the inner part.
Then you can wax your gear ring and slide that on, too.
This assembly can then be screwed on to the blade assembly. It’s held on with 3 screws. I picked up some new allen head ones, as the originals were just slotted screw heads.
There she is screwed in place.
Next you screw on the gears for the lifting assembly. I bought 4 new screws because the old ones were just too far gone rusted.
Then you can put the blade and lifting assemblies together. Again, don’t forget to wax everything up as you go along.
Next you wanna get this crazy washer and bolt on to keep this whole deal from flying apart. Crank it down.
Now you can do the other side. Big fender washer, weird compression spring washer, and some nuts. You want this tight, obviously, but not so tight that it can’t move freely.
I randomly decided to throw this on because it was next to me. Splitter holder.
Elevation nut goes on like the others, with the fiber washers captive.
This is the funnest one to put in, because it’s the biggest. And you have to put a spring washer in first. It’s the elevation nut. Two things to note here. Short end goes in the hole, and the spring washers, “feet,” go is facing down.
Then I decided to take a break from this stuff and decided to give myself some eye candy. I put the front face on next. There is also this beefy piece of steel that gets put on to support the tilt nut assembly better.
It’s all held on with a million of these little guys, and some sheet metal screws. I bought all new ones because the old ones were beyond rusty.
I then went to work on getting the arbor shaft and bearings back together. What I don’t have pictures of is drilling out the old drift pin, pulling the saw blade collar off, pressing on the new bearing, and putting a new drift pin in. But here is all that done…
Spring washer in, again with the feet facing in. Think: It’s standing up in there…
So I slid that in, and went to work on the other side.
The long and short of it is, you get your bearing started on there… grab some 5/8” ID pipe, and go to town until it’s fully seated. Like I show in the pic. When it’s in just right, you can feel the spring washer work. There’s a tiny little bounce back if you push on it.
Pop your retainer clip back on, and you’re good to go.
Then I ran out of steam and went to dinner. More to come later.
Spoiler alert!!! Machined steel pulleys!!!
-- .·..-._.·¨ ¤ Joshua