I didn’t take too many pictures on the day that I built the door frame. This is particularly because it was the first time that I made a frame using half lap joints and I completely hate them and never want to use them again because they make me feel completely incompetent.
I did everything the way I normally do to cut a clean, square shoulder and cheek; just like when I cut tenons. I made sure the lumber was flat and square. I used the reference face and edge to score the lines to define the shoulders and cheeks. Then, I chiseled out a small “valley” to start a perfectly straight, sharp shoulder / cheek line. Even doing that, I wasn’t happy with the final fit. Another thing that was a pain was figuring out where to put the clamps to pull one part together without pulling another part out of whack.
One thing I think that I could do differently is to clamp the two stile pieces up together to mark the shoulder lines at the same time. Then, do the same thing with the rails.
One thing that I did do was to clamp each half lap down with a small clamp, then clamp the frame together from the sides. Even though I did this, it still didn’t seem to work the way I wanted it to.
Before gluing the door frame up, I cut out the rabbets on the inside faces of the stiles / rails to hold the glass door panel. I used basically the same method that I used to cut the carcass dados to cut the door frame rabbets. After the door was glued up, I measured the inside dimensions of the rabbet and visited my friend’s glass shop the next day to buy a piece of 1/16” clear glass. I wanted a piece of 1/8” thick glass, but he didn’t have any clear in stock large enough to serve as my panel.
I put the glass panel in place using some clear silicone. Of course, since I’d never used a glass panel before, I messed up and put too much silicone in some places. Carefully cleaning this up with a razor blade after it set up wasn’t too hard, but it was an avoidable pain in the behind. Oh, well, you live and learn, I guess.
To make the glass stops, I crosscut, ripped, and resawed some scraps left from the 1×4s that I used to make the carcass. Then, I planed them flat, square, and to the proper size with my Stanley #7 jointer plane. Afterwards, I cut the miters on the ends with my LV crosscut joinery saw. I nailed the glass stops into place with really small brads, being careful to nail them at a slight angle without hitting the glass.
Oh, I should also mention that I was going to go with a 1-1/2” deep dovetailed door in order to give me more tool storage room. My wife came into the shop to check out my progress one night and mentioned that she loved the look of the colors of the holders; especially in how they contrasted against the colors of the tools they’d hold. She suggested that I use a glass door panel; which is what led to me choosing to do half lap joints in the first place.