As I got further into the build process, I found myself really starting to fly by the seat of my pants. I really had a lot of fun working on the tool holders. This was the design process: grab the next tool, look at it a bit, pass it from one hand to another, and finally get an idea.
For the most part, I liked my first idea and went with it. The one area that I had to revisit and revamp several times was the holders for my joinery saws. I am happy with the set up that I eventually settled on. I don’t remember exactly, but I think it was the 4th or 5th design.
All the tool holders were made using the same pith scraps that I used to make the back. As with the back, I purposely chose to use pieces that were “ugly”; including pieces with knots, odd grain patterns, etc. I absolutely LOVE the beautiful array of yellows, oranges, etc in yellow pine.
The tool holders were made by first ripping, resawing, and crosscutting the pieces to rough size using my panels saws. For the rip and resaw cuts, I used my new Stanley rip panel saw. I just got this saw a month or so ago on a whim at a local hardware store. It only cost $10 brand new and it works great. I’d cut about 80% to 90% of the way through the piece, then insert a shim into the kerf to keep it open, flip it over in the vise, and saw the remainder.
After that, I used my newly-built shooting board to mill the pieces flat and square on all six sides with my LV LA jack.
Having a shooting board made milling these small pieces SO much easier. I can’t believe I didn’t get off my behind and make one sooner.
To shape the holders, I then used a combination of sawing using my joinery saws, chopping / paring using a few different chisels, and in some cases, a little bit of filing using an 8” LV cabinet file.
Here are some pictures of some of the stops in their build process and when they were completed: