Just a quick update tonight. I got the shelf completed and also made / installed the track for the sliding board jack. I chose not to nail the shelf boards down. They are joined with shiplapped rabbet joints; no glue. This way, I can easily remove the shelf to sweep it off, sweep under the bench, etc.
I also decided to forgo screws to attach the track for sliding board jack. I made some v-grooved cauls with 2×4 scraps to clamp it during the glue up. I made the 45-deg chamfers on either side of the track with a block plane. I marked off the base and apex lines of the chamfers on both sides and the top with a pencil.
Then, I hogged off most of the waste taking thick shavings. Once I got to around 1/16” or so away from my pencil lines, I adjusted the plane to take progressively finer shavings until I was able to sneak up to a clean, 45-deg bevel. It didn’t take very long at all, was much quieter than using a table saw, and was really relaxing and fun.
I took pictures from a couple of different angles because the light in my shop along with the camera flash made the track a little difficult to see at some angles.
Oh, I also got about half of the dog holes drilled out with my brace and a 3/4” auger bit. All that I have left is to drill out the last few dog / hold fast holes, make the sliding board jack, and then apply the oil / varnish blend finish to the rest of the bench (I already put it on the bottom of the bench top and the legs when the bench was still upside down last week).