I didn’t quite get as far as I’d hope today, but I did make some good progress. I set a goal of getting through my list up to flattening the top, but I decided to put that step off for another day; partly because I put in almost 12 hours of shop time yesterday and my body is HURTING today.
My son and I flipped the bench back upside down. Then, I marked out the location of the sliding board jack trench, grabbed my drill and chisels, and got to work. It wasn’t hard, but it took a little while. Once that was done, I got to work shaping the leg vise chop. I got the chamfers done on both sides, drilled out the hole for the screw, marked the location for the screws that will attach the screw to the chop, and got the location of the mortise on the chop to attach the parallel guide.
I thought about flipping the bench over to flatten the top, but I was so sore and I’ve got to teach two classes at our gym tomorrow night…nah, I’ll flatten it in a few days….lol
I took advantage of the bench being upside down and applied two coats of finish; a mix of 1 part polyurethane, 1 part boiled linseed oil, and 1 part paint thinner as recommended by Chris Schwarz. I also put two coats on the 3 outside faces of the leg vise chop.
To finish the night off, I swept up my shop and sharpened the plane blades, chisels, and card scraper that I used today.
My almost finished leg vise chop. I didn’t bother doing the final shaping on the top, because once I flatten the bench top, it’ll affect the final height of the vise chop.
The sliding board jack trench drilled / chopped out.