After a very busy week, I finally got some time in the shop tonight to start on the stretchers. The 4 boards that make up the two short end stretchers were fairly flat to start. It didn’t take too much work to get them flattened and glued up. I injured my right shoulder early this week. So, I was pretty excited to find those boards to be flat to begin with.
Well, that excitement was short lived. The boards for the long stretchers were twisted pretty bad. Not too bad to toss in the scrap pile, but bad enough to mean I was going to be working my tail off tonight between my jack and jointer planes. So much for letting my injured shoulder heal up. :)
This was a real test for me and my hand planes. Through out this project, I’ve hand planed a ton of board feet worth of SYP, but this was the first time I’ve ever encountered a board that was twisted this bad. I guess I’d just been very fortunate that the other boards I’ve used so far didn’t move too much after I milled them up.
The stretchers are in the clamps, glued up for the night, and will be waiting for me to start cutting the tenons in the morning. I’m going to throw an ice pack on my shoulder, get something to eat, hit the shower, and crash for the night.