This past week was very busy for me and I only managed an hour a night at best in the shop. I spent most of this early evening cutting a few sheets 3/4” plywood and putting it down as flooring in my attic over the new insulation I put down last weekend.
I spent most of my shop time after climbing out of the attic cleaning up and sharpening a few plane blades (just got my first waterstones in from UPS today). I didn’t want to close up for the night without getting at least something small done to keep the bench progress pushing forward.
All 4 legs have been milled up a little over sized. They are 32-1/2” long now, but only need to be 32” when it’s all said and done. Also, they’re a bit wider / thicker now than the minimums I’m shooting for; which is around 4-1/2” – 4-5/8” square).
So, I grabbed the newly laminated legs and started to true them up. I planed the best face side flat. Then, planed the best edge side to a 90-degree angle to the reference face side. After those two sides were flat and 90-degrees to each other, I marked them and went on to the next leg. I got all 4 legs trued up on 2 sides tonight. Tomorrow, I’m going to measure them all up to get the maximum available width and thickness. Then, I’ll mark that width / thickness on each leg and plane them down 4-square and all matching sizes.
After that, I’m going to trim about 1/8” off the bottom of each leg to square it up to the 4 sides. Finally, I’m going to measure 30” from the bottom up to mark the shoulders for the tenons. Depending on if I have anymore honey-do’s pop up this weekend, I’m hoping to have the tenons cut on all 4 legs before the weekend is over.