LumberJocks

My new Roubo #5: A minor set back, but happy to have it

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by JasonD posted 12-31-2010 07:46 AM 2090 reads 0 times favorited 3 comments Add to Favorites Watch
« Part 4: Final glue up of the bench top Part 5 of My new Roubo series Part 6: Beefing up the legs »

After getting the 3rd 8” section glued up to complete the bench top, I went to bed, letting it sit in the clamps all night. The next morning, my son and I moved the top onto my old bench so that I could start flattening it. That’s when I realized that the glue-surface face of the last section, while flat, was angled. I was in such a rush (ie: excitement) to get it clamped up that I didn’t realize the problem when I glued it up. Part of the problem was that I didn’t flatten the individual 8” sections before gluing them up; so the angle wasn’t very noticeable when I first clamped them up.

This was a major problem because while I left a little extra when milling, it wasn’t enough to compensate having to take flattening the top / bottom with this new angle. It would have left my bench top thinner than the 4” or so I was shooting for. So, I ripped the last 8” section off. Then, I flattened the bottoms of the two sections (16” and 8”) individually. After that, I jointed the mating edges making sure they were 90 degrees to their respective bottoms.

To be honest, I’m not upset at all about the set back. I’d much rather do it right than have problems after the bench is together. The way I see it, this is just another opportunity for me to learn a lesson and improve my woodworking skills.

Btw, my Christmas gift came in today: a Veritas LA jack plane! My other planes are vintage Stanleys that I got off of eBay and tuned up. I’d never used a modern “premium” plane before. All I can say is WOW! Right out of the box, I was taking gossamer shavings the full length of 60” pine board. My vintage Stanley #7 is great, but after using the LA jack, I’m definitely going to start saving up to get a Veritas BU jointer some time next year.

I’m going to get them glued up tomorrow. I took a small break from working on the bench over the past two days to make a couple of much-needed clamp racks. My shop is small, so storage space is at a premium and being organized is VERY important. Unfortunately, I didn’t have anywhere to put my pipe clamps and hand screw clamps.

When I first set my shop up, I installed a series of French cleats around the walls. I built racks for my chisels, bar clamps, etc back when I first set up shop (about a year ago), but I picked up some pipe clamps and hand screw clamps over the past few months. So, I made a couple of simple racks to hold them using 1x and 2x scrap along with 3/4” Baltic birch plywood. The thing I love about the French cleat system is that I can move things around to different places if I find better ways to set up my work flow, etc.



3 comments so far

View Cantputjamontoast's profile

Cantputjamontoast

416 posts in 2892 days


#1 posted 12-31-2010 03:03 PM

Keep on chuggin’

Kudos to you for making it right.
I probably would have take the easy way out.

-- "Not skilled enough to wipe jam on toast!"

View Tim29's profile

Tim29

307 posts in 2610 days


#2 posted 01-02-2011 06:18 PM

Nice work.

-- Tim, Nevada MO

View Beginningwoodworker's profile

Beginningwoodworker

13347 posts in 3132 days


#3 posted 03-12-2011 04:29 AM

Looks good!

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com