My new Roubo #4: Final glue up of the bench top

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by JasonD posted 12-27-2010 02:39 AM 3982 reads 0 times favorited 5 comments Add to Favorites Watch
« Part 3: Laminating the top (part 2) Part 4 of My new Roubo series Part 5: A minor set back, but happy to have it »

There were points in this process that I didn’t think I’d get this far. I took some vacation time and spent the past few days trying to get the top finished up. My goal was to have it completely glued up before the first of the year.

I’m glad to say that despite a few set backs, I’m a week ahead of my goal. Not only is it a big motivational factor in a long bench building process, but it’ll also allow me to take a few days off to let my achy planing / sawing muscles (ie: my entire body) heal up and get some much-needed rest.

At this point, the bench top is 61” long, 24-1/2” wide, and 4-1/4” thick, with a little extra left to get it flat and square with final dimensions around 60” x 24” x 4”.

Here’s a picture of the completed bench top glued and clamped up for the night:

I filled one of these big contractor bags up with shavings roughly every two days. Once a bag is full, we dump it into the fire pit in the back yard, and burn them.

Here’s a picture of my old bench. It was built when I had been doing woodworking for a grand total of 2 weeks. My son and I built in one evening. It’s a haphazard, thrown-together 2×4, plywood, and hardboard monstrosity. It’s over 36” tall, weighs next to nothing, and can be a pain to work on. The vise is a $20 face vise from Lowes. Now, you can see why I’m so motivated to build a “real” bench. :)

5 comments so far

View DrewM's profile


176 posts in 2419 days

#1 posted 12-27-2010 03:02 AM

Looking good so far, cant wait to see the final results. Those large glue-ups can be tricky to accomplish.

-- Drew, Delaware

View JasonD's profile


180 posts in 2282 days

#2 posted 12-27-2010 03:59 AM

Thanks, Drew. No doubt, they can be tricky for sure. Just moving the sections around the shop was a work out and a half. The total top weighs about 130 lbs. Moving the individual sections around (about 65 lbs each) was a challenge.

65 lbs isn’t all that heavy….except when it’s stretched out over 5 feet and you’re trying to move them around in a small shop without smacking everything around you. :)

View bigike's profile


4048 posts in 2709 days

#3 posted 01-02-2011 06:23 PM

nice work

-- Ike, Big Daddies Woodshop,

View RGtools's profile


3372 posts in 2075 days

#4 posted 03-06-2011 03:45 AM

I hear you on the unwieldy top issue. I had the same problem. Thank god I had a few sawhorses to keep the thing off the floor.

-- Make furniture that lasts as long as the tree - Ryan

View Beginningwoodworker's profile


13347 posts in 3093 days

#5 posted 03-12-2011 04:29 AM

The top looks good.

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics