This summer I made a stand for a lathe that my father found at a garage sale and donated to me out of the goodness of his heart. I posted the project, which I made using a couple of 2×4’s and some scrap plywood. I painted it black for contrast with the turnings and completed it with casters to make it mobile.
After using the lathe for awhile, I began noticing some recurring themes about the stand that I wanted to improve upon. First, I was having to travel to my grinder for sharpening. This would be fine, except the grinder was at the other end of the garage. Second, sandpaper scraps kept piling up on the table. Speaking of sandpaper, I couldn’t find the right grit half of the time because I didn’t have a dedicated storage area. Last but not least, I am rather tall, and I built the stand around 7 inches too short for a comfortable working height.
Along the process of remediation I have noticed other things that I wanted to improve upon, and have had to modify some of my original remodeling plans. I decided to write the process out in a blog (this is my first blog post. ever.) because no one should have to suffer through my commenting on this “adventure” in one sitting. I’ll be going through one modification at a time, and I’ll try to include pictures of each step.
-- My projects are imperfect in every way, just like their creator. Their creator loves them nonetheless, just like mine.