A few months ago, a friend asked me if I was good enough at woodworking to refinish a coffee table. So, I of course took the challenge and thought piece of cake. No planning, no milling, no joinery, no assembly, no problem. HA! And any of you out there who have ever refinished anything are probably laughing too. Never again -Lord willing- will I be so prideful. Soon after I scraped the first application of stripper on one side, I realized what I had gotten myself into. So, I trudged along, side by side, breaking the piece down into manageable sections so I wouldn’t get discouraged by the size of the thing. Then after much scraping, wire brushing, scraping, and sanding, I started entering familiar territory.
Phase 1 Complete! One step closer to the goal. Now comes the easy part (Ha). Matching this table with the rest of the furniture in the room. Time to order some dye. I order what looks to be a close match (from looking at the colors on the screen), and not having any similar colored scrap, tried it out in a place I know won’t get seen much.
That’s when I realized (again) this wasn’t going to be as easy as I thought.
Now, seeing as how the rest of the furniture in my friend’s livingroom is not orange, I knew I definitely need to mix in a different color. This, after I had been knocked down a couple notches, is where things started to go incredibly right. Everything sort of fell into place, and aside from some runs in the laquer (which I don’t think they noticed), I think it turned out not too bad. Lesson learned.