I’m starting a new project which should hopefully not take too much time. I’m on the finishing stages of my Ph. D. thesis and have been relying a bit more heavily on shop time to relieve my frustration, so the goal of this project is also partly to give me something relatively simple to do that I can spend 1/2 – 1 hour on at a time when I just need to get away from this accursed writing chair.
I don’t know if there’s sort of a rule of thumb as to how much writing is appropriate for these project series. The way I see it, these are like my journal entries that I don’t mind other people reading, so just as a forewarning, I am sometimes quite verbose, especially about background tales and thoughts and feelings about seemingly unrelated, or only slightly related topics. I think I will start other blog series as a home for most of these musings. In general, I’ll try to include enough pictures to tell the tale for those who prefer to prefer to read stories told through illustrations.
To give a bit of background, last year when I began this hobby, I thought woodworking was either done by hand or by power tool (I was in the power tool camp ALL THE WAY). Furthermore, I didn’t understand the concept of ‘you get what you pay for’ very well, so shied away from any of the more pricey tools (such as those perhaps found in places like Lee Valley). Times are now different. I have acquired the couple new (old) Stanley hand planes shown below, a No. 4 and a No. 5. They were each 25 CAD from Lee Valley. The wooden plane is one of those (German style?) horn planes. The sole is pretty worn and the mouth is very wide, I plan to use it as a scrubber. The local store had been accumulating antique tools for a few years and had a massive sale on them. Thousands of wooden (mostly moulding) planes were about $10 or only slightly more. I also bought a Veritas LA block (I wanted one premium so I would know what to shoot for when rehabbing the older planes). Anyways, I digress. The point of this tale is that rather than $5 saws and squares, I have started to lay down some real cash for my tools and want a place to store them rather than in a pile with my other cheap stuff on the bench. So I’m building a small tool cabinet. I plan to write about the rehabbing process in another series. I’ll post the link in the comments when I do.
On to the project at hand. Below is a SketchUp model of the cabinet. The interior (one side) measures something like 25” high by 18” wide by about 9” deep (total) when closed. I wanted it high enough that I could store up to a Stanley No. 7 or 8 if I ever acquired one, as well as my 24” Veritas straight edge (shown as the long grey rectangle to the left). As it stands, It will comfortably fit my two new Stanley planes, by LA block as well as a little trim plane I have. On the door, there is enough room to store up to 8 chisels (with widths up to 1-1/2”); I only have 5 (cheap) chisels, so there’s plenty of room for expansion if I get more. Other than my Dozuki which is shown in the model, I have other little things I’ll have to make hangers for on the walls—- I’ll deal with those when I get that far.
As shown in the sketch, I will be using finger joints (hand cut) for the main case, and a simple frame-and-panel door construction—- probably with tongue-and-groove joinery. The back panel will simply be rabbetted in.
This feels like a good place to end for now. Next time I’ll talk about my wood choices and milling process. I am still knew to the idea of blogging, not just about woodworking but in general, so I’m always open to advice or suggestions. I will state that I’m not trying to become a ‘professional blogger’ of any sort, but I feel like my ramblings should at least hold some entertainment value if people are going to take the time to read them.
Thanks for reading!
-- Jeffrey S. Ovens, Canada