LumberJocks

Poplar shoe rack #4: Fixing a mistake

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by JSOvens posted 05-19-2014 08:26 PM 1066 reads 0 times favorited 0 comments Add to Favorites Watch
« Part 3: Cutting the joinery Part 4 of Poplar shoe rack series Part 5: The final stages »

Here we are at a long overdue entry in this series. I have still been working on this project (as well as a few others), but only sporadically since I am also in the middle of writing a Ph. D thesis, so further updates on this project may be few and far between for the next few months.

Last time I left off with all of the joinery cut. I had not yet assembled any of the pieces, but I did do a test fit and everything fit together more-or-less to my satisfaction. There was one piece I showed that got mangled during the routing, so the subject of this post is repairing the damage. I will show the damaged piece again below.

As you can see, the side is chewed up from when the router bit flung the piece out of the jig setup I was using. To begin, I used a chisel to smooth these chewed up areas, and then glued an oversized piece of scrap poplar to the smoothed face, as shown below.

With a combination of my small trim plane and a chisel, I was able to trim the scrap down to match the rest of the piece. In the photo shown below, you can see one edge is repaired, with the next one smoothed and ready for repair.

With the grain chosen well, it is very difficult to even tell where the damage was done, and once the project is finished it will be nigh impossible unless you know where it is from the beginning. I was considering at first just leaving the mistake since it’s ‘only a shoe rack’, but part of the idea behind this project was to learn, so I decided to use this opportunity to try fixing a mistake, a skill which is likely to come in handy in the future.

With all of the little pieces cut and ready for assembly, I was finally able to assemble the shelves and upright supports, which went by with little trouble. Below are some photos of this step.

Upright supports:

Since I have limited clamps, I had to glue the shelves in steps:

All glued up:

The half-laps at the ends were made such that they protrude slightly once assembled.

This excess was easily taken care of using a flush-trim bit at the router table, leaving a nice flush edge.

The next big step is sanding all of these pieces and cutting the joinery for final assembly. I anticipate sanding to take quite a long time, as I only get around to doing a little bit at a time, so I’m not sure when the next update will come, but stay tuned, I WILL finish this eventually!

As always, thanks for reading!

-- Jeffrey S. Ovens, Canada



0 comments so far

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

GardenTenders.com :: gardening showcase