Once I got into an “This is only an experiment” approach to woodworking, I broke through some kind of barrier and started having fun. Besides, much of the wood I’ve been working with was either given to me or bought at a very reasonable price.
I was given a load of old poplar wood tongue and groove flooring. Had no idea what I could do with it until I cleaned it up and thought about its advantages—namely, the show surface had worn to a real antique roughness and the wood is very light. By sticking a piece of rounded oak trim between a couple boards I got a great idea for an experiment. After removing all the old t&g, I’ll let the pictures tell the rest of the story.
#1 panel pieces routered for banding with oak trim
#2 glued with oak ribbing (clamps and cauls for all panel glue-ups)
#3 panels glued to corner braces
#4 trim attached. I staggered the miter joint to avoid gouge-sensitive miter tips. (It may not actually help, but hey, I feel better about it.)
#5 assembled lid and attached spring hinges
#6 calendar glued to the underside—my personal style of dating my pieces
#7 Almost there
#8 Handles complete
#9 Showtime (I eventually waxed all surfaces)
-- Jay in Changsha