Hey folks….another upgrade for the old Performax ST (22×44) drum sander. This is the original drum sander that Performax made and it bolts onto a RAS.
You can see previous mods here:
The sander has always worked great for me, until the other day when I tried to sand a 21×36 solid Maple desk top. I don’t usually use the full width of the sander. The problem was the cheesy plastic paper holding things just didn’t keep there grip and the paper would overlap and burn...
(That’s the photo after I drilled out the rivets holding them in….)
I called SuperMax, which is the original company that built the early Performax stuff, before Jet bought them…...and they are still in the Twin Cities, so close to home…...
The young lady was so pleasant, I called right after she shut her computer down for the day, but she processed the order anyways, from memory…...works for me.
The parts showed up today in the mail. Only gripes…..no instructions….and no counter weights….I wouldn’t have even considered the counter weights until I Google’d the directions, which I found in an obscure re-scanned document not on the SuperMax site. Thankfully, it described the correct weight for the counterbalances…...
Here are the new grips:
The inbound…..this one uses some heavy spring pressure to keep the paper tight and is easy to load:
I didn’t take photos, but without the counterweights, the drum was a disaster…..vibrating all over the place…...Panic ensued….
Luckily, a few day ago I bought a HF scale for weighing out finishes….....$16 with coupon. Good call, because I could weigh out enough washers to balance each end of the drum…...used super glue and hot glue to attach. Runs nice and smooth now.
Got a perfectly smooth solid Maple top (from old gym floor) on the sander….no burn:
-- Jeff - I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.