Yesterday I used the router to create the start of the dog holes, today I bored them thru….... awhile back I bought some Irwin Speedbor bits on clearance – a 3 pack for $6.97…...a definite bargain, but they have been hanging on the hook since I bought them for 6 months or more…...until today.
These babies are bad to the bone – and actually a bit hazardous if you are not hanging on tight…..You need to run the drill at low speed but they cut this hard maple FAST. Steve (SPalm) if you’re listening – pick up one of these to finish those holes…...
And thanks Brandon (from my previous post) for the tips:
Had to remove the top from the base to clear most of the holes:
Ran a chamfer around all the holes including apron:
Eased all the edges of the bench as Purplelev pointed out in a much earlier post:
Next – picked up some cowhide from Tandy Leather and time to line the twin screw:
It kind of sucks to cover up that beautiful Jatoba, but I think the leather will be a good addition to the bench….and it seems to blend well with the Maple.
A couple of things learned with the leather – you can plane it with a sharp blade. You can drill it with a forstner bit, but I found that EASY DOES IT – just take shallow cuts from both sides and then clean up the fragments with a X-Acto knife…...thats how I did it….
Also – contact cement is very unforgiving – so good luck getting it lined up the first time…:)
A couple of parting shots:
Thanks for looking.
-- Jeff - I have not failed. I've just found 10,002 ways that won't work.