Slowly but surely…..........
Instead of a tool till, I added a back rail with slots cut in to store some bench tools. Made from hard Maple, but not as nice as the bowling lane Maple. I cut the slots at various depths with a dado blade on the table saw – used Miller dowels to install since the gluing surface is limited:
Also glued up the end caps, vice faces and fron apron using Maple and Jatoba lams:
Next – created a tongue on the ends of the top using the router and 3/4” spiral bit, using VERY swallow cuts!
This is a concept that I borrowed from “The Essential Workbench” plan from Fine woodworking. The only difference is I used a Skil saw and straightedge to cut off the end of the tongue instead of a jigsaw…..actually tried the jigsaw first, but that ended badly….....
Next step – cut the mating dado’s in the end caps and contemplate whether I will attempt dovetailing the front apron into the end caps…....hmmmmm.
Thanks for looking.
-- Jeff - I have not failed. I've just found 10,001 ways that won't work.