I made a few little improvements this week while I’m finishing the forward armor.
I redesigned the forward ramrod tube bracket. It’s as minimal as I could get it – a 3/4” piece of poplar, cut to fit between the tubes, and a hose clamp. This lightens up the front end, both visually and literally. I also reattached the cap chain with a ziptie right behind the cap, which shortens/cleans it up. A shot of green paint and everything looks fine.
I had a vision of kids (my brother’s) fighting over the trigger switch, so I put connectors at both ends of the wires to act as breakaways in case somebody yanks on it.
I added a bracket to hold the trigger switch and wires. It’s a piece of 1-1/2” PVC with a cap (actually the end of the first ramrod tube) with a slot cut down the side, and a small block to hold it away from the elevating arc. The cord wraps around the block and the trigger switch drops into the tube.
And finally, the moment of truth – the test shots. I’m on my back patio, shooting at a piece of solid core door leaning against the wall about 20’ away. These are the first and third shots, and they’re weak. I didn’t record the second shot, and I wish I had – it went POW!! and made the dent you can just make out in the upper left quadrant of the door in the latter part of the video. It dented the near side almost 1/2” and pushed out a bulge on the back! I don’t know what I did differently on that shot; I know I didn’t stop to do any narrative, which I did on #1 and 3 (edited out).
Next installment: artwork
-- The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken