First, I didn’t like the way the ramrod just stuck out of its tube, as shown in part 3, so I made a longer one that fits the rod completely. I put a small eye screw with a keyring in the end of the rod so I can fish it out.
The tube now has a cap on both ends; I put a light chain on the access cap to keep it from getting dropped or lost. I’m not super happy with how chunky the forward tube bracket is.
Now I’m starting on the armor plating. The “armor” is 1/8” plywood.
The framework for the armor is an H-shape of 1/2” thick poplar that sits on the forward part of the axle frame.
The tops of the frame members are mitered at 45 degrees, and there are 2 additional gussets. I had a hard time clamping these. In fact, I gave up on clamping and just held them in place until my hands got tired.
The back of the armor.
The front. I had such a hard time clamping the upper flaps, I ended up putting in some screws. These are hinged on the real thing.
Here’s how it will look assembled, from the front. I didn’t quite capture the M101 howitzer; it looks to me more like a World War 1-era piece – I think it’s the narrow, spoked wheels. You can also see how oversized the forward ramrod tube bracket is.
From the back.
Next installment: Artwork
-- The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken