This weekend consisted mainly of painting, painting, painting, some more painting, and after that, some painting. I’m using canned spray paint from the big box store, and the wood just soaks it up. It takes a good 3 coats before I can scuff sand paint without also sanding wood.
Here’s the frame with the elevating arcs attached to the sides, and the axle going through. It’s a 5/8” threaded rod, 24” long. The box stuck to the side of the left arc is to hold a breech plug wrench, which you’ll see later.
Here’s another angle. The paint color I settled on is Rustoleum “satin oregano”.
The trunnion assembly starts out as a double thickness of 3/4” baltic birch ply, just wide enough to fit between the elevating arcs without rubbing. I used a router with a circle jig to make 2 – 5” circles.
Then each piece is cut from its end of the blank and notched for the horizontal member, a 3/4” x 2 1/2” x 14 1/2” piece of baltic birch ply.
I drilled each piece vertically between the hole and the edge for lag screws, then split each ring horizontally through the center of the circle. Here’s a shot of the completed assembly, with the axle going through. It’s a 3/4” threaded rod, which will be cut to length later.
The rings clamp down on the cannon to hold it tight. The cannon is still painted in the green I chose initially, which I decided is too dark and too blue – more like the color of blue spruce. The lighter color is more of a sage green, and is a better match for my area.
Here’s a shot showing the relationship between arcs and trunnion. You can actually see through the slot, where the hanger stud will stick out of the trunnion assembly and will have a knob that will be tightened against the arc. The cannon is just propped up for this shot.
Next installment: trail assembly and ramrod.
-- The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken