LumberJocks

Quest for a bigger TV #8: Nearing the end

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by JBfromMN posted 10-26-2010 07:13 PM 885 reads 0 times favorited 3 comments Add to Favorites Watch
« Part 7: Bookcase Doors Part 8 of Quest for a bigger TV series no next part

After having this new TV Entertainment Center project going on in my shop for over 2 months we were getting near the end.

We installed the custom milled baseboard on all three pieces. Sanded them all the was to 180 and then started the finishing process.

The first step was to take all of the doors and drawers out and remove all of the hardware. That was a monumental task in itself. There are a lot of hinges, knobs and slides on this thing. I am not sure I have mentioned it before, but the 2 tall skinny doors on the center unit have 5 roll out shelves each for storing movies on. So with the 4 drawers on there that made 14 sets of slides, 14 sets of hinges and 18 knobs or handles that has to be removed.

Then is was a matter of laying out the 14 different doors and all of the shelves out to be stained first. That was quite a feat in my 2 car garage shop. I had 4 tables laid out with coverings on them to protect the tables from the stain. We used 1’ X 3’ scraps of hard board I had and then drop cloths over those. Then we added 3 coats of Poly, sanding between coats, over the top to provide that durable surface. The high contact shelves were given extra sandings and coats to get the top of them glass smooth.

Once all of the smaller parts were done they were moved to my parents house. They would get re-installed to the unit in place to make the thing easier to move.

We then moved on to finishing the 3 main units. The 2 sides ones were pretty straight forward. the larger unit provided some challenges. Behind the doors are enclosed compartments that made getting the poly on smoothly tricky at times. I had not made the leap to get a sprayer yet, so all the poly was either brushed on or wiped on.

As a side note, the top coat of the poly was thinned about 15% to help ensure that it would flow out smoothly.

I hope you all have enjoyed my little blog series. This is the first project I have done that I have documented this much. I am working on a new one for a co-worker right now so I will be sharing that process in a future blog series.

Here are a couple of pictures of the unit being installed and in place. In my projects page I will add the current photos after my parents have put all of their stuff back in.

That is my Brother In Law that helped move the thing.

Brother In Law again and the back of my Dad the new owner of the thing.

Completed unit installed. As you can see on the far wall there is a heat register that we were concerned with blocking. Otherwise we used the entire wall for the complete unit.



3 comments so far

View Robb's profile

Robb

660 posts in 2688 days


#1 posted 10-27-2010 05:01 PM

Excellent finished result, and a very nice blog. Thank you for sharing it with us!

-- Robb

View RexMcKinnon's profile

RexMcKinnon

2593 posts in 1949 days


#2 posted 10-27-2010 06:06 PM

Nice upgrade, as I mentioned before, I like the old unit also but an upgrade was required and you did it right. Lots of people when faced with someting like this is when they downgrade to something from Ikea and regret it later.

-- If all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail!

View Derek Lyons's profile

Derek Lyons

584 posts in 2322 days


#3 posted 10-27-2010 07:15 PM

Excellent build, excellent blog series!

-- Derek, Bremerton WA --

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

GardenTenders.com :: gardening showcase