Dad wanted to get at least a 46” flat screen in the new Entertainment Center. That meant that we had to increase the width of the opening in the center of the middle unit by about a foot. That posed a bit of an issue about how to handle the 2 doors that are located below the opening for the TV. I sat down with both of my parents and we went over the options. We could make 2 larger doors to still cover the space. We could make the doors smaller and then add 2 more to the space for a total of 4 doors to cover the space. Or we could do something else altogher, use the space to add 4 drawers.
They descided to go the drawer route.
Again, keep in mind that both of them really liked the design of the unit they had. They just wanted a bigger opening for the TV. So I set out designing the thing in Sketch-Up. Another thing that came up in this step is the center unit they had was 20 inches deep to help accomidate a CRT TV. Now they would have just a flat screen TV and the depth was not needed. So we changed the depth to match the 2 side units so the over all depth would only be 16 inches.
Here is a crude drawing I did in sketch-up so we could get a feel for the size of the thing.
After several tweeks to the drawing this is what we came up with. The face frame and all of the other componants were taken care of with a whole file folder full of notes. Measure at his house, write them on a print out of the drawing and take back to my house. Then there would be more info we needed so the same process was repeated over and over. I have about 30 copies of this drawing printed out with all kinds of notes on it.
I did not take as many shots of the construction of the unitis as I should have but I will share what I do have in the next few installments.