After spraying on the water based poly I noticed splotches in several places. I’m very unhappy with the finish and have decided to strip off the poly and restain. I had followed the directions on the can of stain. The directions said to wait 24 hours before applying water based finish. I waited well over the 24 hours, on some pieces it was close to a week.
On the first bed I built I applied a coat of shellac before spraying on the poly. I tried to hurry the process this time by skipping the shellac, this was a big mistake. Instead of cutting time I have increased the time before the bed is finished. I’ve learned my lesson and will never skip this step again. Oh well, this has given me an excuse to buy a new tool, a hand held belt sander.
Speaking of tools I looked all over today trying to find an affordable belt sander made anywhere but China. The local Menards was selling a store brand, Workforce, variable speed sander for $89. Of course it was made in China. They had a Makita made in England for $129 but it was in a mangled up box. Farm and Fleet sold a Porter Cable for $129 made in Mexico, but it was a fixed speed unlike the Makita. So, I’m still shopping for the belt sander. I’d buy online but I want to start sanding tomorrow.
I’ll post another blog after I have completed the refinish work.
-- Owen Johnson - aka IowaWoodcrafter