I ordered the lathe on Saturday and received a call from the shipping company on Tuesday, talk about fast service! The delivery actually took place on Thursday due to the shipping companies truck routes. The shipping company was Saia. I had to have lift gate service because the lathe was being delivered to my home. The driver was nice enough to drop the pallete in my garage instead of leaving it on the street.
I was so busy assembling the lathe that I forgot to take pictures. I didn’t have any help so I had to assemble it solo. To assemble it the headstock, tool rest and tailstock were all moved to one end of the lathe. I propped the other end on a jig, (note to self, that was dangerous, don’t do it again). The leg for that end was then tipped to match the angle of the lathe bed and then screwed on. Next the tailstock, tool rest and headstock were moved to the end attached to the leg. The other leg was set next to legless end of the bed. The bed was then lifted and placed on the leg, aligned and screwed on. Although I was able to do this I would not recommend any one else do it, my back still hurts from all that heavy lifting.
Once assembled I moved the tailstock next to the headstock to check the alignment of the two centers. The tailstock is slightly lower than the headstock. I wrote to Grizzly to find out how to fix this issue. They suggested that the tailstock be shimmed. To shim it they suggested using aluminium from a pop can attached using spray adhesive. I haven’t done this yet so I’ll let you know how this goes.
See the pictures below.
Alignment of centers:
-- Owen Johnson - aka IowaWoodcrafter