Workbench Build #12: The Other End Cap

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by Mark Kornell posted 12-04-2014 04:46 AM 2080 reads 0 times favorited 2 comments Add to Favorites Watch
« Part 11: Wagon Vise Install Part 12 of Workbench Build series Part 13: Finishing the Wagon Vise Install »

The process for truing up the tongue and mortising the end cap for the non-vise end was the same as for the vise end, so I’ll avoid repeating myself.

Once I had the end cap fit, I needed to cut the condor tails. I carefully laid out the front board and got a back shoulder cut precisely. Important, because the tails on the front board have to fit into sockets on both ends. And those sockets are at fixed locations. Once I got that right, I proceeded to cut the tails on the band saw, cleaning up with a chisel.

On to the sockets. Learning from the vise end, I used the masking tape trick to do the layout. Pretty simple, put some masking tape over the end board, and then knife the outline of the tails into the masking tape. Then remove the cut out bits to leave the silhouette of the tails:

It makes it so much easier to see the outline while freehand routing:

The edge of the tape then becomes the chisel guide. It isn’t much of a ridge, but it is enough to register a chisel against. Makes it easy to clean up the boundaries of the socket.

Results in a near-perfect fit

Finish up, and see how it fits:

Then drill/route for the bolts to hold on the end cap. The center bore holes are oversize to allow for movement and a little bit of adjustability. 3/8” bolt into a 17/64” hole.

And bolted on:

Hey! It is cleaned off!

Because the next step is to glue the front board on. Getting ready:

And a few minutes of panic later:

To help in getting the end caps positioned exactly, I left the bolts a bit less than tight. They would move under clamp pressure or with a whack from the mallet. Once I got everything clamped together I then tightened up the bolts.

Last thing was to glue some wedges into the loose-fitting condor tails. Grain orientation matches the adjacent tail so hoping that the fix won’t be noticeable from more than a couple feet away.

Cleaned up while the glue was setting. Amazing how much stuff needs to be put away. Lots of router detritus everywhere. Yuri, this is for you:

-- Mark Kornell, Kornell Wood Design

2 comments so far

View yuridichesky's profile


622 posts in 1381 days

#1 posted 12-04-2014 10:21 AM

Lots of router detritus everywhere.

I’d call this “some detritus”, not “lots”, but anyway that’s better :-)

But speaking seriously I do envy how well organized your shop is, no doubt the work bench gonna fit perfectly into it. Once again, pretty cool build!

-- Yuri (10x4 -- yeah, that's my tiny shop!)

View terryR's profile


6229 posts in 1726 days

#2 posted 12-04-2014 02:48 PM

Still looking awesome!
Gotta remember that masking tape trick…

-- tr ...see one, do one, teach one...

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics