I seem to have lost some pictures of the stage before finishing. Nothing too complex, though. After the door was glued up, I had to:
- Cut the door to size.
- Route a groove on the bottom of the door for the guide
- Drill pilot holes for the top hangers
- Sand, sand, sand.
Finally got it into the finishing room. The door was too tall to stand up – not to mention a bit unweildy – so I built a mobile cradle to hold it horizontally at a comfortable height. You can see that in this pic:
It tilts the door back at around 5° and was pretty stable. The door was heavy enough that I needed help to flip it over. I padded the places where the cradle touches the door with sill gasket.
I used Valspar Presidium primer and conversion varnish to spray it. The primer is awesome – high solid build and sands easily. The CV was pretty easy to spray, but I found I had to reduce it a lot less than the sheet specified or I got runs. Easy fix…
I built a simple jig to route the mortises for the door pulls:
I built the jig before I had the pulls in hand. The spec sheet said a 70mm x 70mm hole so I built the jig to the spec. When I got the pulls, they measured about 70.5mm square. Rather than force it, I used a chisel to enlarge the mortise by 1mm.
The pull installed on the existing under-stair door:
Simple install, a bit of silicone and clamped in place until it set.
Track installed easily, fortunately the joists are running perpendicular to the wall.
And the door, hung:
It dwarfs the two doors beside it:
Only thing left to do is install the floor guide. Mañana.
I’m calling it done!
-- Mark Kornell, Kornell Wood Design