Started the glue-up yesterday, finished it today.
I started by checking the fit for all the pieces. First up, the panels. And they don’t fit, which was expected. The groove has round ends while the panel is square:
A few ways to fix this, but I picked up the mortise chisel and mallet to square off the ends of the grooves. The panels fit now
The panel was a pretty tight fit, but I can address that later.
Glued tenons into the first rail
And then the rail into the stile
Was making sure the panel lined up, too. I had to run the panel through the sander once to get it to fit. Still pretty tight. And as you can see from the scratch pattern, not quite flat.
On the bottom rail, I glued both sets of tenons into the rail, but only the bottom set of tenons into the stile
All the rails glued and clamped. I took care to make sure they were clamped square and flat to the stile.
Left that overnight and carried on today:
Glued the tenons into the other end of the rails
Two passes through the sander got each panel to exactly 1/2”
And they fit just right
Now, test fit everything:
Remind myself to let the top tenon in the bottom rail float:
And then glue in all panels. Just a light bead in the grooves all round:
But no glue in the groove in the bottom rail. That needs to be able to slide a bit…
And the most stressful part of the process, gluing the entire set of mortises at once. Working quickly, no time to take pics until everything is together
A few hours later, it looks like a really big door:
-- Mark Kornell, Kornell Wood Design