Back at it today. When I left the house, Spawn was sleeping on “his” chair. I closed the door quietly :-)
Before getting back to mortising, I milled up the loose tenons. I wanted to make sure the paired mortises were going to work and I needed the tenons to check. May as well make them all at the same time:
Some 3” wide, some 4”. Often, I’ll round over the edges using the edge sander, but in this case I started with long boards the right thickness and width so it was quicker to radius using the router table. Crosscut using a stop to get them all the same (and correct) length.
Back to mortising. Clamp a rail to my benchtop (I think I mentioned I really must get back to work on it, but the big slab top is proving handy.)
Line up the jig and go for it:
First end of the first rail done:
Check the fit of the stub tenons. Might be a hair too tight as I need to use light mallet taps to get them to seat fully. I’ll probably adjust the fit with some sandpaper before I glue.
And see if the rail fits to the stile:
Yup, dead on.
Rinse and repeat, 27 more times. Finally get to the last rail – the bottom. 4 mortises on each end:
Fit all the rails to one stile:
In order to add the other stile, I had to put a slight chamfer on the exposed ends of the stub tenons. The fit is too close for 14 tenons to line up and seat into 14 mortises at once. Particularly when I’m lifting a 25 lb chunk of lumber over my head and can’t see where the tenons are supposed to go.
And with everything together, this gives a better idea of the scale of the door:
I can barely lift it as is and I’ll be adding 30 lbs of MDF panels. Think I’ll be enlisting the son-in-law’s help soon.
The next step will be to mill the grooves for the panels.
-- Mark Kornell, Kornell Wood Design